Thursday, July 29, 2010

Barn Burning " Theme"

A theme of Williams Faulkner's short story "Barn Burning" is loyalty. Loyalty to one's family is still more important than standing up for what is right. He illustrates this theme through two conflicts.
The first conflict was when the boy, the father, and the white were at court. They were at court because the white man stepped in horse droppings and went to Colonel Sartoris Snopes, the boy, house and wiped it In his rug. The next day the white man's barn was burned and the only person he suspected was the father. When their in court the boy has a conflict. He has to choose whether he should tell the truth about his dad burning down the bran or lying and sticking up for his dad. It says, "That evening a strange nigger came with the dollar and got the hog. He was a strange nigger." He said, " He say to tell you and hay kin burn." I said, "What?" "That night my barn burned I got the stock out but I lost the barn." (Faulkner 1)
Another conflict would be how the father abuses his child in a multiple amount of times. He has beaten him repeatedly. The boy was so sick and tired of being basically being tormented that he made a decision to run away. It says, "I'll hold him. "See you do then." "Lemme go,I I don't want to have to hit you." "Let him go!" "If he don't go, before God, I am going up there myself." "Don't you see I can't.?" "Sarty! Sarty! Sarty! No! No! No! Help me Lizzie." (Faulkner 10) Then he was free. When the Aunt said, let him go she thought he was going to his room. She didn't know he was running away. The child showed loyalty to the loyal principles because his father was wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment